Acid Reflux


I just had a trip to the clinic earlier because I was having chest pain, back pain, pain above my abdomen, growling stomach, cough, sore throat and acidic taste in my mouth. The condition got worst at night when I have to lie down, thus making me feel so uncomfortable and widely awake the whole night so I have no option than to sit to at least feel better. The physician had me take x-ray and Electrocardiogram (ECG) tests to check my lungs and heart, respectively. Both resulted "normal" hence, the doctor ruled out lung or heart related disease.  

It's acid reflux. It is when stomach acid splashes up into the esophagus.  The chest pain I had that I thought as first as symptom of heart attack was actually a heartburn. A detailed explanation of acid reflux could be found here.  


The doctor gave me the list of foods to avoid, then there I realized that the foods I had been regularly taking in aggravated my my condition. Unknowingly, I may have acid reflux long before but I just ignored some of the symptoms that should have given me precautions especially in my recent "lose belly fat" regimen.   

I was then prescribed with a pill pantropazole+domperidone to reduce the amount of acid produced  or neutralize the acid secreted .  It has to be taken for 7 days once a day before breakfast.  I was likewise advised to be careful with the foods to eat of which,  

Among the foods to avoid are:
  • Strongly flavored spices and condiments
  • Caffeine - containing beverages - coffee (regular or decaf), tea, cocoa, colas
  • Tomatoes
  • Citric juices (orange, calamansi, grapfruit)
  • Fatty foods ( fried meats, deli meats, potato chips, french fries, fatty or fried pastries like doughnut)
  • Alcoholic drinks
  • Dairy products - whole milk
  • High fat salad dressings (sour cream, cream cheese)
  • Gas-forming vegetables (broccoli, brussels, sprouts, cabbage, garlic, onion, cauliflower, cucumber, green pepper, turnips)
Foods to include:
  • Caffeine-free tonics
  • All lean, tender meats, skinless poultry
  • Fish, shellfish
  • Eggs
  • Soy beans (including tofu)
  • Low-fat and skim milk products
  • Whole grain crackers, graham crackers
  • White or brown rice
  • Noodles/spaghetti
  • All vegetables except tomatoes
  • Limited amount of butter
The lesson I learned with this experience is to be aware of your medical condition and don't ignore any signs and symptoms of any underlying disease you may have.  Seek medical attention outright and don't wait for your condition to get worst.  




Comments